Announcing that someone has taken over subtitling

• 3 replies
AmirKhoda

When a movie comes out, a few people who are usually powerful in subtitling start subtitling that movie without knowing that another powerful person is subtitling the same movie (as far as I know).
This issue usually unnecessarily increases the number of subtitles in a movie, and worse; a series of movies without subtitles or without good subtitles are waiting in queue....
My opinion is that, a filter should be added for the ongoing selection in each subtitle, like the language preferred selection filter, through it, we can find out who started subtitling in which language, when he started the work and at what time he will deliver that subtitle.
Putting a scoring system in this section can also complete the work.
If there is already such a system in place, please tell me.

theyliveinthemoon

Making a subtitle doesn't necessarily take very long, especially if you are experienced and have set up your tools well. Some PGS fonts are tough to OCR and require a fair amount doctoring, but others scan really well and don't require much...

Now, there are cases where the official subtitle just isn't very good and may require hours of tinkering, but you don't necessarily notice that before you're already well underway.

So, while not a bad idea as such, in most cases it really wouldn't be needed. For some projects it would be very nice to know if anyone's already doing it, but the system you suggest would likely remain too niche to be useful.

REZA.99

That would be very good. There's another option: a group in telegram or any other apps consist of translators. They can inform each other in there what project they have started.

AmirKhoda

@theyliveinthemoon thanks for your reply and @REZA.99

I completely agree with you. Up-to-date and good tools on the one hand, especially since AI is increasingly expanding... maybe this discussion should have been done years ago.
But in the language we use (Persian/Farsi) just as Reza thinks it is better to be the place like this (I said before) and we feel that its place is very empty...
For myself, when there is no sub in my language, I find a good English subtitle and translate it automatically with a site like My Memory or google TR etc., but as a movie lover (movie nerd), I prefer to have better subtitles in my own language.